Monday, December 10, 2012

"Grown Up Grilled Cheese"

(This was aptly named by my husband when I concocted them last week.)

I was struggling, yet again, with our weekly menu. I guess I'm feeling the pressure of actually posting what I'm cooking to the two of you reading this little blog. (Thanks again you two!!) And then it came to mind... I don't know about you but there is nothing better on a lazy, chilly week night than tomato soup & a grilled cheese! It's cheep was cheep, easy and reminds me of my childhood. I had remembered seeing on the Food Network some pretty fancy grilled cheeses. I had some applewood smoked bacon in the fridge (bacon is good with everything) and it just came together! Sorry I didn't take an ingredients picture, I realized how awesome these were going to be after I had gotten started.

What you'll need:
8 slices of loaf bread
12 slices gruyere cheese
10 slices applewood smoked bacon (2 are for munching on while assembling or for your spouse to grab on the sly)
1 large onion, sliced
Mayo
Butter (softened not melted)

**This recipe will make 4 sandwiches.

Start by putting a hearty pat of butter in a med skillet on med-high heat. Once melted, add your onion & add a pinch of salt.



Let them cook down until caramelized. Really cook the mess out of them! You want them soft and browned.



Cook the bacon on a rimmed bacon sheet at 400 for 20 mins flipping half way through. Once done, transfer bacon to a paper plate with paper towels to drain and crisp up.



Now it's time to assemble!
1. Spread mayo on bread
2. Add caramelized onion
3. Place bacon on top of onions
4. Top with 3 slices of cheese
5. Close up sammich



Lightly butter outside of bread & toast in a skillet or on griddle on med-low until beautifully golden brown. Y.U.M!



I found a delicious organic roasted red pepper tomato soup at the grocery... I wish I could have taken credit for the soup but Pacific got it right so I've got give credit where credit is due!



Hope you enjoy!

XOXO





















No comments:

Post a Comment